Today it’s about fireproof transport boxes, eFoil stands and what will change at e-surfer in 2021. Especially the forum gets a more important task.
Electric Hydrofoil and eFoil news by E-Surfer
An electric hydrofoil is flying above the water. An eFoil is using a wing connected to a mast underneath the board which lets it take off. It is powered by an electric motor.
Since the first eFoil videos went viral in 2017 the trend is not to stop. The beauty of electric foils is that they consume much less power compared to an electric surfboard once they fly and the resistance of the water surface gets eliminated. This has several positive effects. Less power means wider range or less weight of the battery. Smaller batteries make the product cheaper. Not only because less lithium ion cells need to be used but also other components such like the controller need to handle less energy. You can get the latest electric hydrofoils in our eFoil Shop.
Our latest eFoil articles:
More about the electric hydrofoil:
Less energy means less heat and this makes things a lot of easier. But of course it is still not simple to build a reliable mass production electric hydrofoil. However, since it is easier to build an e-foil compared to an e-surfboard, you do not only see a lot of companies jumping on this trend within just 1 year, but also a community of DIY e-foil builders. These guys exchange their thoughts on the forum efoil.builders. This is a very good place for anyone who is considering to build a “do it yourself” electric foil.
The pioneer of commercial electric hydrofoils ist Lift Foils who set a trend with their viral Youtube videos in 2017 and who was the first manufacturer who shipped from summer 2018. They shipped 500 products in the first 6 months and were ramping up production in 2019. You can buy the eFoil directly in our Electric Hydrofoil Shop.
It takes an electric hydrofoil manufacturer at least another year from showing the first prototype or even ship to some beta users before he can release a reliable mass production e-foil. So a lot of boards were announced and shown at trade shows, but time will tell when and if they will be ever available for sale. We have already seen many disappearing.
- Liftfoils – As mentioned above the Lift Foils eFoil is available now
- Jetfoiler – Another early electric hydrofoil which was announced in 2017 was Jetfoiler from Kai Concept. The Jettfoiler however has still no release date even 2 years later.
- CabraTec -Cabratec from Czech Republic started to sell their EasyGoat to beta users in 2018 and is expected to sell larger volumes in 2019.
- Fliteboard – So is Fliteboard from Australia. The so called “iPhone of electric hydrofoils” (because its attention to detail and beautiful design) shipped to beta users end of 2018 and is ramping up production for summer 2019.
- Takuma Concepts – The E-TAKUMA from Takuma Concepts was announced end of 2018. It is a modular system where the different components can be also used without battery and motor. For example for Windsurfing.
- Waviator – The German company Waviator has a similar modular concept and was showing its product first time at the boot & fun show in Berlin November 2018
- Flying Rodeo – FR is another company from Czech Republic which wants to focus on custom made e-foils in lower quantities.
- VeConcept – This kickstarter project from Canada wanted originally only build components for DIY electric hydrofoils but now announced a complete board for 2019.
In addition you see more and more brands from China such like Waydoo and Hoverstar. You can compare all these electric foils in our e-Foil comparison.